If you want to book a deep sea fishing charter in St. Petersburg, Florida then there are a few important steps you need to succeed!
Deep sea fishing charters are bucket list experiences that will last a lifetime, but may not be suitable for all people. Some people would rather stay closer to shore for a shorter duration. Deep sea fishing excursions usually last between six and eight hours, so make sure you want to go deep sea fishing, and not inshore fishing.
Deep sea fishing grounds often include structures, reefs, wrecks and warm fresh water springs where big fish love to hang around. The best thing is, you’ll be targeting big fish! This is your chance to put your skills to the ultimate test!
1. Choose Your Deep Sea Fishing Charter Departure Point
Where will you be departing from? Pinellas County is home to countless fishing locations, but some offer better departure points than others, depending on where you are coming from.
YACHTFISH Fishing Charters has convenient departure points at:
- St. Petersburg: 101 Bay Shore Dr NE Slip Q12, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- St. Pete Beach: 9555 Blind Pass Rd Slip D16S, 9555 Blind Pass Rd, St Pete Beach
- Clearwater: 25 Causeway Blvd Clearwater, FL 33767
- Tampa: Boat Ramp, 5108 W Gandy Blvd Tampa, FL 33611
2. Choose Your St. Petersburg Deep Sea Fishing Charter Company
Choosing the best private fishing charter company in St. Petersburg will make all the difference to your experience.
There are many fishing charters available, but few are private or as experienced as YACHTFISH Fishing Charters.
Shared or Private?
We highly recommend selecting a private fishing charter, as you’ll be away from tourists or anyone who could adversely inpact your experience. Some people like the idea of heading out with strangers on what is called a “Headboat” with 50 or more anglers onboard.
The best option is to go private, where it will be just you and your friends or family (and our experienced Captain). You can fish at your own pace and focus on catching the species you want! The Captain will also have full focus on you and your group.
You should also look for companies that have impressive equipment. Center console boats are the most thrilling option, as you can move around freely while still being able to reach out and touch the fish. These boats are also super fast, so you’ll get out to deep sea waters much quicker than the bigger boats.
YACHTFISH Fishing Charters performs its Deep Sea fishing charters in St. Petersburg, FL on a state-of-the-art 32-foot SeaVee Center Console vessel, featuring equipment for all fishing techniques. It’s the perfect blend of comfort and performance.
Be sure to check out the Google reviews for the St. Petersburg fishing charter you’re considering before you commit! Don’t settle for anything but the best!
Only use a charter with experience and the right licenses! YACHTFISH Fishing Charters has over 20 years of experience and takes care of all the required licenses for the boat and Guests.
3. Choose Your Fish to Catch
Deep sea fishing is all about catching big fish! Out in the depths of the Gulf of Mexico, you can experience the sensation of pulling up a monster. You’ll never know what you’ll get.
However, with the help of your Captain, you can try to hunt down a specific species as they’ll know the hotspots and what bait and techniques to use.
YACTHFISH Fishing Charter welcomes you to suggest any dream catch, but we often go after:
- Tarpon: The Silver Kings are incredibly exciting game fish. They have stunning silver bodies that will shimmer as they make acrobatic leaps from the water. Their rattling gills are incredible too. The best time of year for a catch is between April and August.
- Tuna: Tuna are found on many of our Deep Sea Fishing Charters from St. Petersburg, with Yellowfins and Bluefins growing very big! And, they’re delicious!
- Sharks: Sharks are obviously one of the bucket list fish to catch for every angler, and will get your heart pounding! There are dozens of species of shark including Black Tip Sharks, Black Nose Sharks, Fine Tooth Sharks, Hammerhead Sharks, Shortfin Mako Sharks and Thresher Sharks.
- Snapper: Most Snapper species are popular bottom fish in Florida, with a Red Snapper proving the most delicious of the group. Most species are available all year round and peak during summer and fall on 6-8 hour deep sea fishing charters.
- Grouper: You can’t discuss deep sea fishing in the Gulf of Mexico without considering Grouper. The likes of Gag and Goliath Grouper can grow to monster sizes and will push you and your buddies to your limits!
Read Related: Florida’s Top 10 Trophy Game Fish That You Need to Catch
4. Be Prepared for Your Deep Sea Fishing Charter Trip!
Deep sea fishing charters in St. Petersburg can last as long as 8 hours, so you need to be well-prepared for the full-day adventure you’re about to go on!
We advise you to speak with the Captain in advance so they know what fish you’re looking to catch and so you can also get any heads up on the weather conditions.
You should also be sure to wear and pack the appropriate gear, such as:
- Sun protection
- Suitable footwear (non-skid rubber sole shoes are recommended)
- Snacks and drinks (we have a cooler onboard!)
- Waterproof windbreaker for possible rain and cool mornings
- Swimsuit, if you want to swim
- Sunscreen and lip balm that protect from UVA and UVB rays
- Seasickness medication if you’re prone to seasickness
- Hand sanitizer if you don’t want to smell like bait
- Waterproof bag or backpack for your items
- Camera or smartphone to record your trophy catch!
Read Related: 10 Reasons to Go Fishing with Your Kids in Florida
5. Decide If You’ll Want to Keep Your Catch
It’s totally fine and normal to catch and release your fish back into the Gulf. However, some people do like to keep their catch and enjoy it for dinner.
It can be wise to decide in advance, so you can research if your dream catch is currently baggable under FWC regulations.
If you do want to keep it, Your Yachtfish Captain can recommend local restaurants in St. Petersburg that will be happy to cook your fish. Many of these restaurants are on the water if you want to go by boat before ending your day with Yachtfish Fishing Charters.
Book your Private Deep Sea Fishing Charter from St. Petersburg, FL Now!
WE GUARANTEE A CATCH
YACHTFISH Fishing Charters has enjoyed over 20 years of experience in St. Petersburg, St. Pete Beach, Tampa and Clearwater.
CALL or TEXT: YACHTFISH CHARTERS (727) 433-4200 to book a deep sea fishing charter in St. Petersburg today! Or BOOK NOW at www.yachtfish.com
We welcome all ages and all skill levels, from young novices to experienced anglers. Booking in advance is highly recommended, as demand remains high all year.
YACHTFISH will provide an unforgettable experience second to none with Fishing Charters from St. Petersburg, St. Pete Beach, Tampa and Clearwater.